One of my favorite resources for real food recipes and healthy meals is Bon Appetit. I subscribe to the magazine and Beth loves their newsletter. I've never been much of a rule follower when it comes to recipes but this one is simple to make and offers complexity with fresh seasonal ingredients. It's THE perfect salad to bring to the BBQ this summer.
The antioxidants from the purple radicchio help balance the inflammatory properties from charred meats. The bitterness is countered with sweet and juicy peach. Then you get a freshness from the scallion, parsley, and lemon followed by creamy cheese and crunchy nuts. I'm literally drooling.
INGREDIENTS: (*slightly modified because I just can't follow directions)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 small heads of radicchio, leaves separated
- 4 ripe peaches or stone fruit of choice, sliced
- 2 scallions (green onions) thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or try avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I say add the zest too!)
- Sea salt to taste (or flake salt-get fancy!)
- 1/2 cup crumbled chevre or soft goat or sheep cheese - get the best creamiest stuff you can find
INSTRUCTIONS (Also slightly modified-because who uses their oven in the summer?)
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add walnuts and warm gently for a few minutes until they start to release their natural oil. Be sure to stir them around during this process. It will start to smell delightful and they may start to toast slightly. DO NOT BURN. Do not walk away from the nuts. This is just 5 minutes. You can do it. Allow them to cool then chop chop chop.
- In a big bowl, combine radicchio, peaches, scallions, parsley, and nuts. Drizzle in oil and lemon juice (and zest if you have it), season with salt.
- Add cheese and gently toss again to combine.
*If you plan to travel with this dish or serve at a party, you can combine scallions, parsley, oil, salt and lemon into a dressing. Be sure to taste the dressing before you pack it up. Toss just before serving.
For the OG recipe, and to sign up for their newsletter click here.