1 fresh, small, butternut squash, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
¾ cup unsweetened & unflavored almond milk (Try MALK)
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
6 tablespoons nutritional yeast, or more to taste
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt & ground black pepper to taste
2 cups brown rice pasta
2 cups vegetables of choice (chopped kale, spinach, broccoli, or peas)
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Drizzle chopped squash with avocado oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 minutes, uncovered, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the “cheese” sauce in a pot on the stove top. Add avocado oil over low-medium heat. In a bowl, whisk together milk and arrowroot powder until clumps are gone. Add into pot and whisk. Stir in nutritional yeast, dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon, sea salt & pepper. Whisk over low heat until thickened, about 5-7 minutes or so.
3. Cook your pasta according to package directions.
4. In a blender, blend the sauce with 1 cup of roasted squash. Be sure to leave ventilation at the top of the blender when blending warm ingredients. Place a kitchen towel over the vent and hold gently with your hand, starting on low speed, working your way up to speed.
5. Add cooked, drained, and rinsed pasta back into the pot, along with “cheese” sauce & veggies. Serve warm.
Recipe modified from Oh She Glows
This recipe is vegan & gluten free and can be modified however you like.
You will have leftover Butternut Squash. It makes a great side or addition to a fresh salad.