- 1 can beans, drained, rinsed (any bean or lentil will work!)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 cups veggies of choice, roughly chopped small enough to fit in the food processor. (we like to make veggie combos) - try broccoli, carrot, and zucchini or spinach, artichoke, and mushroom.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Seasoning: 2 teaspoons fresh herbs and spices (to taste) Try Italian seasoning, Path Spice Mix, smoked sweet paprika, five spice, lemon pepper, etc) OR try 2 tablespoons pesto or harissa. You can flavor them however you like. Get creative!
- 1 cup dry base ingredient, aka flour (Try Bob's Red-Mill baking 1:1 flour, Bob's All Purpose, or Almond Meal)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts - for crunch- optional
• Heat 1 teaspoons oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook the veggies until softened, about 5 minutes.
• Transfer to a food processor and pulse with beans, optional flavor enhancers, salt until combined. If you prefer some veggie chunks for texture go for it, or you can mince fully, especially for kids.
• Move veggie mixture to a bowl. Mix in nuts if using. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until firm enough to create patties. It should be firm enough to hold on to but not appear dry or crumble.
• Form into golf ball size balls and flatten into patties.
• Heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat.
• Fry patties 2-3 minutes per side until browned and heated through.
• Top with sauce or condiment of choice, fried egg, avocado, and greens. Or, use as veggie burger patties! These are very versatile. You can eat them for any meal or as a snack. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Makes 4-6 servings.