For the Sauce & the Beans
- 1 pound fresh green beans or haricot verts, rinsed and cut into halves or thirds.
- 1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped (white button, baby portobello, or shitake-I prefer a mix!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons organic all-purpose flour (or try Bob's GF 1:1)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup organic chicken broth or mushroom broth (Try Pacific brand)
- 1 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pink salt or sea salt, divided
- black pepper, to taste
For the Crispy Onion Topping (optional-but is it?)
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or (GF flour)
- 1 teaspoon pink salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Combine the onions, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- With a cloth or paper towel, rub the sheet pan with avocado oil and then evenly spread the onions on the pan.
- Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking.
- Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use.
- Turn the oven down to 400 degrees F.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the beans. Bring 6 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a 4-6-quart saucepan.
- Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth and simmer for 1 minute.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the milk.
- Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onions and all of the green beans.
- Pour into a baking dish and top with the remaining onions.
- Place into the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
*Modified Recipe from Alton Brown